- Please tell the readers about the main characters?
- Roha: One of the heroines of The Bennu Project and the central character of the subsequent trilogy. She fights to defend the entirety of the Meroan people and their republic.
- Azubuike: One of the heroes in The Bennu Project and the initial protagonist to whom the reader is introduced. He fights to protect his immediate family and for a chance to rebuild the destroyed culture of his ancestors.
- Seba: Younger blood brother of Azubuike. After having been exposed to The Bennu Project, he becomes an exceptional engineer and researcher.
- Ayoka: Younger sister of Azubuike with a withdrawn personality. She is the ultimate lone wolf with a guarded persona. Her skills in sharp shooting and infiltration are more than useful to the resistance.
- The Kandake: Leader of the current rebellion, The Kandake is an invaluable character. She held the people together during decades of oppression. She was born into royalty, although the authority of her crown has long been unseated. Her power and legitimacy rest on her ability to fight a guerilla war by any means necessary.
- Ime: The wearer of many hats, Ime is a senior advisor to The Kandake. With no official rank or title, Ime is known for his involvement with the Isoba, an elite infiltration and subversion unit in service to The Kandake. His life before the rebellion is a mystery and speculations come only from second-hand observation of his involvement.
- Themba: The right hand and senior general serving The Kandake. Themba is responsible for training, supervising and organizing the main fighting force. He also provides The Kandake with much-needed tactical perspectives, evaluations and counsel that can only come from battle-hardened soldiers.
- Major Wynch: An agent of his people, will do anything to prevent Roha and Azubuike from getting the information they need to upset the status quo.
- What is the conflict in The Bennu Project?
The conflict centers on Roha and Azubuike et al as they try to free their planet from domination by invaders and occupiers. Their main opponent is Major Wynch.
- Which characters are you most like?
I incorporated a bit of myself in all of them, especially the aspect of trying to acquire more knowledge of themselves and their ancestors.
- Take us inside The Bennu Project. What are two major events taking place?
The first major event is the accidental discovery of an ancient secret lab by Azubuike and his friends. This pivotal scene shapes the book’s plot and sets a series of events in motion. The second defining moment is when they decide what to do with the newfound information.
- Are your characters from the portrayal of real people?
The Kandake’s likeness was modeled after Njinga Mbande, a 17th-century queen of the Ndongo and Matamba Kingdoms of the Mbundu people in Angola, and one of my personal heroes.
- Describe each character in three words?
Roha: duty, sacrifice, leadership
Azubuike: brave, open-minded, eager
Seba: inquisitive, rational, logical
Ayoka: cold, calm, withdrawn
Ime: mysterious, quiet, secretive
The Kandake: powerful, influential, leadership
Themba: honorable, respect, duty
Oya: mechanical, distanced, logical
Wynch: relentless, antagonistic, manipulative
- If your book became a movie, who would play the characters?
The cast of the upcoming Black Panther Movie!
- How do you see yourself in your characters’ story, if at all?
I would be one of the people with the goal to rebuild the lost culture and society after the war had been won and the invasion ended.